Healthy muffins! That taste like carrot cake! Oh, I think this might just be a dream come true.
Truth be told, carrot cake gets me every single time. I fell in love with it a few years ago and my craving for cake has quadrupled since then. I can’t get over the spices, flavor, and that thick-n-creamy cream cheese frosting that pairs so wonderfully with the cake. I’m not sure it gets better.
Ingredients in carrot cake muffins
Not only are these carrot cake muffins delicious, but they’re also made with healthy ingredients compared to a regular slice of carrot cake. Naturally sweetened, whole grains and includes both fruits and veggies, making them the perfect brunch treat or snack for both kids & adults. Here’s what you need:
- White whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour：white whole wheat flour has the same nutritional benefits as whole wheat flour, but much lighter in flavor and texture. You can usually find it at your local grocer. If you can’t, try looking for whole wheat pastry flour. To make them gluten free you can try using chickpea flour or an all purpose gluten free flour. I have not tested it, but think it should work well!
- Pure maple syrup： 我更喜欢枫糖浆to honey after reading这个有趣的文章comparing the two.
- Unsweetened applesauce：I love baking withapplesaucebecause it naturally sweetens the recipes and provides moisture to give these muffins a nice texture without having to use as much oil. Even though I use a few tablespoons of healthy oil in this recipe, most of the healthy fats come from walnuts or pecans.
- 不加糖的杏仁牛奶：feel free to use any milk you’d like! I love using vanilla almond milk or coconut milk for a little extra flavor in the muffins.
- Shredded carrots:你需要分解2 - 3中胡萝卜,b威廉希尔apput make sure to measure 1 cup full total. If you’re feeling like you want more, you can use 1 1/2 cups.
- Cozy spices：cinnamon＆nutmegadd a cozy flavor to these healthy carrot cake muffins and gives them that carrot cake flavor goodness.
- Optional add-ins：尝试添加shredded coconut那葡萄干or pineapple to these muffins. Everyone prefers their carrot cake differently, so feel free to add them or enjoy the muffins as-is.
- For the glaze： 奶油乳酪，powdered sugar那vanilla和杏仁牛奶的飞溅。
What makes these carrot cake muffins healthy?
显然我没有将奶油芝士釉作为“健康”，但在松饼顶部真的很美味。威廉希尔免佣百家乐加上它只是一个小金额。如果你愿意，你可以休息并享受它们。你也可以用我的古粉糖recipe to keep these completely refined sugar-free!
How to store carrot cake muffins
- In the fridge：将这些胡萝卜饼松饼存放在密闭容器中的柜台上一天，然后将它们转移到冰箱上长达4-5天。在坐在密闭的容器一天后，松饼确实变得更好;他们甜蜜甜，变得超级软。配有一大杯杏仁牛奶！
- 冰箱友好的胡萝卜蛋糕松饼：随后可以自由冻结这些婴儿！烘烤后允许它们完全冷却，然后将它们放入密封容器中或reusable bagand freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, you can microwave them for 45 seconds-1 minute or until warm. I suggest freezing them without the the glaze and simply adding the glaze when you’re ready to enjoy them.
More carrot cake recipes you’ll love
See how to make the carrot cake muffins:
I hope you love these healthy carrot cake muffins! If you make them I’d love for you to leave a comment and a rating letting me know how you liked them. I greatly appreciate it – xoxo!
Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Glaze
Healthy carrot cake muffins packed with carrots, coconut, raisins and nuts. These deliciously moist carrot cake muffins are naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup and applesauce. Top them with a light cream cheese glaze for a delicious snack or healthy treat!
- 1 1/2杯子swhole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2teaspoonscinnamon
- Wet ingredients
- 1杯子finely shredded carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- 1/2杯子pure maple syrup
- 1/3杯子natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- Optional add-ins
- 1/2杯子unsweetened shredded coconut flakes (optional and not included in nutrition info)
- 1/2杯子葡萄干(optional and not included in nutrition info)
- For the glaze
- 4.ozreduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4杯子powdered sugar
- 1/2teaspoonvanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with liners and spray the inside with nonstick cooking spray to prevent batter from sticking to the liners. You can also omit the liners and generously spray the muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a separate large bowl, add carrots, maple syrup, olive oil, applesauce, egg and vanilla. Whisk to combine wet ingredients then slowly stir in almond milk and flour mixture until just combined.
Fold in coconut flakes and raisins if you'd like. Divide batter evenly between muffins cups or liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan then transfer muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Once muffins are completely cool, you can make the cream cheese glaze: Place cream cheese in medium microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until cream cheese is somewhat warm and a little runny. Stir gently and add in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a few tablespoons of milk; stir again until glaze reaches desired consistency; not too runny and not overly thick.
Dip each muffin top into cream cheese glaze then place back on wire rack. Sprinkle with coconut flakes if desired. Makes 12 muffins. Store these carrot cake muffins on the counter in an airtight container for a day, then transfer them to the fridge for up to 4-5 days. The muffins really do get better after sitting in an airtight container for a day; they sweeten up a bit and get super soft.
To make vegan:通过组合1汤匙亚麻籽餐和3汤匙水，用亚麻蛋替换鸡蛋。留下奶油芝士糖霜，而是用肉桂和粗糖撒上顶部。
To make gluten free:尝试使用鹰嘴豆面粉或所有目的麸质面粉。我没有尝试过这个选项，但是它确实有效。
Notes about nutrition:提供的营养信息包括除葡萄干和切碎的椰子之外的一切。如果添加两者，您的松饼将大约200卡路里的营养。
冰箱友好的胡萝卜蛋糕松饼：随后可以自由冻结这些婴儿！烘烤后允许它们完全冷却，然后将它们放入密封容器中或reusable bagand freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat them, you can microwave them for 30-45 seconds or until warm. I suggest freezing them without the the glaze and simply adding the glaze when you're ready to enjoy them.
Originally published on Feb 12, 2015, republished on April 4th, 202018